Monday, February 4, 2013

Frank Ocean - Channel Orange



I listened to the entire album today in the car. Loved it.

Frank Ocean is one of the generation's most perfect singers. He seems to ride the vocal scale as fluid as he raps and sings about the blunt realities facing "Super Rich Kids".

Being from an upper-middle class suburb, I really related to that song. A lot of the situations, including one in which he describes children, or young people, doing drugs while the "help" is around, cause "they don't stare" like other company.

The harmonies become pretty infectious, and the album is a smooth listen. I heard a lot of Michael Jackson "Thriller" influences (think "Human Nature")

The lead track off the album, "Thinkin' Bout You", has one of the craziest and coolest music video accompaniments of the moment. If it weren't for some of the production values (though they could easily be intentional), and *Spoiler Alert

Ocean's utter absence in the video

I would have probably been a bit more engaged. I haven't seen too much TV coverage of Ocean speaking. Is that just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment